The Florida Aquarium horticulture internship offers a well-rounded, educational experience working with our horticulture team within our Animal Care and Health department.
Intern will assist the senior horticulturist and assistant horticulturist with routine daily care and maintenance of The Florida Aquarium’s plant collection within the wetlands dome and the exterior of the property.
Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Aide in opening the wetlands: watering, pruning, detailed debris cleanup, feeding and providing enrichment for some animals and maintaining the health and appearance of all plants within the habitats.
- Assist in maintaining the plant nursery and various needs around the property to include watering plants, cleaning up debris, moving pots, planting plants and checking the overall appearance of the property.
- Aide horticulture team in mangrove restoration projects in the Tampa Bay area.
- Must be a college sophomore or higher with a GPA of 3.0 or up to 6 months post graduate
- Must be able to work in both a group and individual environment
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 pounds
- Must have a general understanding of working with different types of animals
- Willingness to do physical labor on a daily basis in sometimes hot/cramped spaces
- Workdays and times vary, dependent on position and may include early mornings and weekends.
Please Note: This is an unpaid internship. Interns must make their own accommodation and transportation arrangements.
We are not currently accepting applications.