Position Title: Sales Assistant
Service Group: Sales / Marketing
Reports To: Director of Sales
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Provides a variety of complex administrative, clerical, and support functions for the Sales and Marketing departments in accordance with established procedures. This includes generating reports, contracts, maintaining departmental budgets; creating business correspondence, forms, and other documents; filing, sorting and distributing mail, calendar creation, and answering telephones. Develops and maintains and on-going understanding of both internal and external customer requirements and ensures they are met. Works with and supports sales, marketing, events, and public relations.
Essential Position Functions
Answers all incoming calls to the sales line and ensures customers have been identified and their requirements are met on the phone through email or in person.
Assist the Sales & Marketing team with administrative tasks including payment processing, customer correspondence, letter writing, and phone calls
Maintains all filing systems
- Creates, manages, and distributes the events calendar monthly
- Manage departmental budgets; submit invoices for approval, account transfers, check request, and staff expense reports.
- Manage departmental equipment and office supply needs. Handle ordering, procurement, and upkeep of supplies
- Schedule appointments with clients for private events and catering. Call to confirm appointments and handle appointments in the absence of manager
- Plans and schedules staff travel to include search for most cost effective and efficient transportation, hotel arrangements, and rental car reservations. Provide cost estimates for approval prior to purchase
- Receives, organizes, and distributes mail in order of importance
- Generates ideas to fulfill the needs of customers
- Assists in the planning and preparation of the marketing plan and budget
- Facilitates tours as needed for customers
- Delivers extraordinary customer service to all aquarium guests and internal customers
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- Education Requirements and Technical Skills
- Two years of college preferred
- Two years of administrative experience
- Experience in sales/marketing environment preferred
- Spanish bilingual a plus
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Software
- Customer Service Orientation — Listening and understanding the customer (both internal and external) and anticipating and evaluating the customer’s needs; making the customer’s satisfaction a high priority in all areas of responsibility.
- Teamwork — supporting, facilitating, and participating in activities that promote team effectiveness; demonstrating sensitivity for the feelings and needs of team members and supporting team goals.
- Planning and organizing — Establishing a course of action with specific long-range goals for the aquarium; setting priorities among competing requirements and allocating resources in the most efficient and effective way; developing contingency plans that anticipate changes in the work environment.
- Judgment — Deciding on and committing to an action on the examination of the facts at hand; finding creative solutions to situations and opportunities that arise; taking strategic risks when necessary.
- Concern for Detail — Pays attention to every portion of any task, down to the smallest item
- Communication (oral and written) — Effectively expressing ideas verbally and non-verbally and actively listening to individuals and groups; preparing and focusing presentations to the characteristics and needs of the audience; expressing ideas clearly and concisely in written form, through memoranda, letters, reports, and other documents.
- Information Gathering and Monitoring — Effectively collects relevant data using questioning or research techniques to monitor and manage projects and people
Typical Physical Requirements
- Sitting (8 hours per day)
- Standing (3 hours per day)
- Walking (4 hours per day)
- Bending/Stooping — Occasionally
- Squatting — Occasionally
- Climbing stairs — Occasionally
- Reaching above shoulders — Occasionally
- Kneeling — Occasionally
- Pushing/Pulling — Occasionally
- Carrying (up to 40 lbs.) — Occasionally
- Lifting (up to 40 lbs.) — Occasionally
- Exposure to marked changes in temperature and humidity
- Driving automotive equipment
- Exposure to dust, fumes and gases
- Typing on a computer keyboard
- Excellent vision for proofing and detail work
- Coping with demands (stresses that are associated with the job and/or the work environment so that acceptable levels of performance and overall contribution are maintained
- More than normal talking
- More than normal talking on telephone
- Ability to travel (car) as needed — locally and/or nationally
- Ability to travel (air) as needed
- Flexibility in working weekends and evenings
- Flexibility in working holidays