Junior Educator Volunteers
The education & volunteer departments are excited to extend our summer Junior Educator Program into the 2013-2014 school year. We are looking for responsible students, ages 14 – 17 who are interested in volunteering for our Teen SciCafe Youth Leadership Team as well as for community events (See below). Experience with public speaking is a plus, but not required. Junior Educators will need to commit to three onsite training days, to working two SciCafe’s per semester, to two public events per semester and to participate in planning meeting for events. *Accommodations can be made for prior commitments within reason and with ample notice.*
Junior Educator Volunteer Description
The program is designed to give each participant a chance to develop leadership skills through planning and delivering environmentally focused education programs at The Florida Aquarium. Participants will learn:
· Marine science content
· How to deliver or interpret information for guests
· How to deliver extraordinary customer service to our guests
· How to convey and present scientific information to families at community events
· How to organize, plan and deliver education programs, in this case, SciCafe’s for other teens.
Teen SciCafe Youth Leadership Team
· SciCafe’s are an informal gathering of teens and scientists who engage in conversations about intriguing science in an informal social setting. These free programs have a presentation and an active learning piece.
· In this position, youth leaders, have an influence on every aspect of the program including presentation topics, meetings, advertising, recruitment and café details such as food, drink, set-up, clean-up, closing and opening statements and more.
· Jr. Educators will participate in community events or onsite at The Florida Aquarium interacting with guests and the public, sharing info about artifacts and climate science.
To apply for the program, please fill out the application and return the completed form to The Florida Aquarium at the address provided no later September 15, 2013. Applications received after this date will not be considered for eligibility. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and a candidate list will be determined. Those students on the candidate list will be invited to a group interview before final selections are made on September 30, 2013. The training portion of the program will commence in October. The tentative training dates are as follows:
• Saturday September 21st from 9:30AM - 12:30PM- Interviews
• Tuesday, October 8th from 5:30PM – 7:30PM – Teen SciCafé
• Tuesday, October 15th from 5:30 PM – 7:30 PM — Public Events
Contact the Education Department
Phone Number: 813-273-4015