Heavy booksWaxed paper
Students will better appreciate the beauty of the colors, shapes and structure of seaweed.
4 days, approximately 30-45 minutes on days 1 and 4.
- Take a piece of seaweed from the shore.
- Wash it with sea water.
- Fill a flat pan with sea water. Float a bit of the seaweed in it until it opens up fully.
- Slide a sheet of heavy or stiff paper under the seaweed in the water. Index cards (5x7) work well.
- Tip the paper to drain off the water, keeping the seaweed on top.
- Place wet paper with the seaweed on newspapers. .
- Cover with waxed paper, then with more newspapers.
- Put a heavy object, such as a book, on top.
- The next day, replace both the newspaper and waxed paper with dry sheets to prevent the seaweed from molding.
- Repeat step nine the next day. After four days, the seaweed should be dry. Some seaweeds have a natural mucilaginous adhesive that will keep them stuck to the paper; others may need a bit of glue.