The Florida Aquarium Husbandry internships offer a well-rounded, educational experience working in a variety of areas within our Husbandry department.
Specialized internships are designed to provide valuable hands on experience in the care of specific animals and habitats at an AZA accredited, world class facility.
Dome- Wetlands Internships
The Florida Aquarium Wetlands Trail is a unique and diverse experience for our guests, team members and interns! Interns working in this area will assist in the feeding, care, habitat maintenance and training for the animals that inhabit our Wetlands gallery including North American River Otters, reptiles, amphibians, and a wide variety of birds.
Animal Health/Quarantine Internships
Interns can expect and well rounded and diverse experience working with our Animal Health and Quarantine team! Learn what it takes to maintain a healthy and happy group of animals behind the scenes and assist staff in daily feeding and care of Florida Aquarium animals as they transition into new habitats.
Interns in our commissary will work alongside biologists and gain valuable knowledge in the preparation and delivery of daily animal diets, ordering and maintaining inventory, keeping records, cleaning and maintaining the commissary, and even interacting with other departments and guests.
Water Quality Internships
The water quality intern will be working with a team of biologists to maintain the water quality lab, help Identify innovative water conservation protocols, monitor laboratory supplies and replenishes within a define authority and budget. Interns will gain experience in the use of ionalyzers, spectrophotometers and autochemistry systems.
Ideally this candidate is working towards a biology degree from an accredited university with concentration in chemistry, microbiology or marine science and is experienced in water analysis and pathobiology.
• Must have the ability to work independently and be self-motivated as a dedicated and reliable team member.
• Must have strong communication skills with speaking with the general public is required.
• Must commit to a minimum of 24 hours per week
• This position requires interns work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust while indoors and outdoors. Interns will get wet and dirty.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 50 pounds).
Ready to apply? Find out how on the main internship page here.
Not sure if the deadline to apply has passed? Check on our Important Dates and Deadlines page here.
All internships are non-paid.