The Florida Aquarium Husbandry- Water Quality internships offer a well-rounded, educational experience working with our Biological Operations department.
Specialized internships are designed to provide valuable hands on experience in the care of specific animals and habitats at an AZA accredited, world class facility.
The water quality intern will be working with a team of biologists, researchers, technicians, engineers and educators dedicated to responsible husbandry practices and continued research.
Functions of this internship include:
Under supervision, operate and maintain water quality lab.
Help Identify innovative water conservation protocols.
Under supervision, Monitors laboratory supplies and replenishes within a define authority and budget.
Performs necropsy's and interprets results under Veterinarian supervision.
Performs related duties as assigned.
The preferred intern candidate will be working towards a biology degree from an accredited University with concentration in chemistry, microbiology or marine science and will also be skilled or seeking experience in the following:
The use of ionalyzers, spectrophotometers and autochemistry systems.
Experience in water analysis and pathobiology.
• Must be a college sophomore or higher or up to 6 months post graduate with a GPA of 2.5 or higher.
• Must have the ability to work independently and be self-motivated as a dedicated and reliable team member.
• Must have strong communication skills with speaking with the general public is required.
• This position requires interns work in all weather conditions including heat, humidity, rain, cold and dust while indoors and outdoors. Interns will get wet and dirty.
• This position involves considerable physical exertion such as repetitive bending, pushing/pulling/carrying heavy loads, and regular lifting of heavy objects (up to 50 pounds).
Summer interns will all start on May 30th. The duration of the internship is 10 week during which 1 project will be completed. A minimum of 32 hours per week will also be required.
Ready to apply? Find out how on the main internship page here.
All internships are non-paid.